CORONAVIRUS/Flag-raising ceremony closed to public due to COVID-19: Presidential Office

Taipei,  The New Year’s Day flag-raising ceremony in Taipei will be open only to government officials and invited guests, as a precaution, after a traveler who arrived in Taiwan recently was found to be infected with the new variant of the COVID-19 virus, the Presidential Office said Wednesday.

People who wish to view the annual flag-raising ceremony can do so via a live stream, starting at 5:10 a.m., on the Presidential Office’s website and YouTube channel and on the Facebook pages of President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), Vice President Lai Ching-te (賴清德) and Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵), the office said.

An open house event at the Presidential Office, which was scheduled for 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, has also been canceled, according to Chang.

The decision was made after the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) reported earlier in the day that a Taiwanese teenager who returned from the United Kingdom on Sunday had been confirmed to be infected with a new variant of the COVID-19 virus, Chang said.

The spokesman apologized for the last-minute changes to the New Year’s Day events and urged the public to comply with the CECC’s coronavirus control and prevention measures.

According to the Presidential Office, Friday’s flag-raising ceremony will feature performances by high schools marching bands, street dance groups, and a national honor guard on Ketagalan Boulevard.

President Tsai, meanwhile, is scheduled to deliver her New Year’s address at the Presidential Office at 8:30 a.m.

 

Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *