Taipei- Taoyuan General Hospital is expected to resume normal operations on Feb. 19, following the successful containment of a recent cluster of COVID-19 infections originating at the facility, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (???) said Monday.
Speaking at a press briefing, Chen said the cluster of cases, which began with the infection of a doctor who treated COVID-19 patients at the hospital on Jan. 12, and was eventually linked to 21 cases and one death, had been "brought to a close."
In response to the cluster, the Ministry of Health and Welfare initiated a plan on Jan. 22 to evacuate patients from high-risk areas of the hospital and reduce outpatient services.
On Feb. 7, it announced that tests of more than 2,000 employees at the hospital had yielded all negative results, while samples taken from 585 wards and waiting rooms in the hospital also tested negative for COVID-19.
Earlier on Monday, Taoyuan Mayor Cheng Wen-tsang (???) said that a total of 3,423 people had been tested in connection with the cluster, and that two temporary quarantine facilities near the hospital had been closed, effectively bringing the incident to an end.
In terms of the reopening, Chen said the hospital will report to the Health Ministry after the Lunar New Year holiday and is likely to resume normal operations on Feb. 19, barring any unforeseen issues.
Taiwan also reported no new cases of COVID-19 for the third consecutive day on Monday. To date, it has recorded 937 cases of the disease, of which 821 have been classified as imported.
Of the total, 859 patients have recovered, nine have died and 69 are in hospital, according to Central Epidemic Command Center statistics as of Monday.
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel