Taipei--The Ministry of Justice (MOJ) said Thursday that it returned almost NT$1 million in February to a Chinese national who was swindled by a Taiwanese fraud ring, in the sixth similar case since 2014, bringing the total to NT$17.69 million.
Under a 2009 agreement with China, NT$945,900 (US$30,709) was returned earlier this month to the victim, surnamed Lu, who had been scammed into making several deposits in October 2014 into an account set up by a fraud ring, the ministry said.
The Taiwanese suspects were eventually caught by Taoyuan City police, who worked with the MOJ and Chinese authorities to collect evidence and returned the money to the victim, the ministry said.
It was the sixth time that Taiwan was taking action to return such funds under the terms of the Cross-strait Joint Fight against Crime and Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement, according to the MOJ.
It said that since April 2014, it has returned a total of NT$17.69 million to Chinese fraud victims.
China, meanwhile, has sent back NT$14.42 million in swindled funds to Taiwan since then, in six separate cases, the ministry said.
Over the past year, scores of Taiwanese fraud suspects caught overseas have been deported to China, despite Taiwan's efforts to have them sent back home for prosecution and trial.
China wants to put the suspects on trial in China, saying that many, if not most, of their victims are Chinese nationals.
Source: Focus Taiwan News Channel