The interior ministry held a meeting Sunday with relevant agencies to discuss preparedness for an approaching typhoon. Interior Minister Lee Sang-min presided over the meeting, where attending officials reviewed emergency plans and safety measures with Typhoon Krathon expected to affect the southern island of Jeju and other southern regions, plus the eastern province of Gangwon this week. The Korea Meteorological Administration said the typhoon will likely pass near Taipei on Wednesday with a maximum wind speed of 37 meters per second in a 320-kilometer radius and begin having an impact on South Korea on Thursday. The interior ministry called on regional governments, police and firefighting authorities to identify vulnerable areas ahead of time and evacuate residents as necessary. The ministry also ordered thorough checks on areas that had previously been damaged by heavy rains. With two holidays on the horizon in the new week -- Armed Forces Day on Tuesday and National Foundation Day on Thursday -- the interior ministry said local officials must set up an airtight emergency response system. Lee said people should stay up to the minute on the latest weather forecast and refrain from going outside when their area is under the influence of the typhoon. Source: Yonhap News Agency
Recent Posts
Taiwan’s Export Orders Reach Record High in July Amid AI Demand
August 20, 2026
Taiwan’s July Export Orders Reach New Heights Amid AI Demand
August 20, 2026
Uganda Returns Withheld Passports to Taiwanese Nationals
August 20, 2026
Uganda Returns Passports Withheld from Taiwanese Nationals
August 20, 2026
CEC Announces Comprehensive Nov. 28 Local Elections in Taiwan
August 20, 2026